A full year ago, I complained about fur vests. Somehow, it has reappeared as one of the It items for fall/winter. I haven’t seen one on a real live person yet, but presumably they are selling well. I’ve tried one on, but the hippie flashbacks were too upsetting to permit further consideration.
The vest in this photo is by Golden Goose, the brand that brought us faux-vintage cowboy boots for $1,200. The fur is fox, but I don’t know. It looks like something I might find dead in my backyard. So here are my guidelines for choosing a fur vest:
1. It can’t look like something your dog might drag in through the dog-door.
2. It can’t remind you of a Yeti.
3. It can’t look like a caveman costume.
4. It can’t look like fake fur, even if it is fake fur.
5. It can’t incorporate another trend, like studs or fringe.
Feel free to add your own rules.